Re: Confused by y-or-n-p

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Confused by y-or-n-p
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 02:41:21 -0500

  > > > It is very easy to compare without having both behaviors in the same
  > > > binary: just keep old binaries around.  Highly recommended.
  > >
  > > That's what I do, too.  But you can't expect regular users to do this to
  > > compare two behaviors in order to give feedback.

  > Why not?  This is not about any user, this is about people who track
  > the Emacs development.

I keep old binaries around, because I know that the new build may have
difficulties.  (That happened to me in the past year.)  People who are
deeping into testing Emacs during development will find this a good
thing to do.

But testing by comparing two binaries won't be as convenient as
testing by flipping a variable during one session.  In one minute you
can toggle the option variable and try your command again.  You can
try 10 minutes of editing this way and 10 minutes that way, without
having to visit your files again.

Making an option variable for each possibly controversial change is
a favor to everyone.

--
Dr Richard Stallman