Re: Loading credentials from login keyring

From: Thomas Hisch
Subject: Re: Loading credentials from login keyring
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2021 10:08:27 +0100

Hi Michael,

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 4:18 PM Michael Albinus <michael.albinus@gmx.de> wrote:
Thomas Hisch <t.hisch@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Thomas,

> returns nil. The reason for this is that
> `auth-source-user-and-password` searches for an entry with a plist key
> :host and not with the key :service.
>
> I know that I can manually pass the search spec to `auth-source-search
> `,
> but I want to keep the auth code in my pkg as high-level as
> possible. I also don't want to break anything for
> users that use different auth-sources.
>
> Is the implementation of auth-source.el, e.g.
> `auth-source-user-and-password`, supposed
> to support reading of secrets stored in a keyring, which are not
> created by emacs?

That's a very good question. AFAIK, there is no common schema for the
Login keyring, so you are best served to use entries which have been
created with the same application.

I also don't think that there is a common schema for the Login keyring, but I'll ask the python-keyring
developers why they have chosen the fieldname "service".

BR, Thomas.