Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 00:23:01 +0100

>>> The question is what benefit is there to having it linked in as
>>> a library as opposed to accessing similar functionality via
>>> a sub-process.
>> One could programmatically render stuff on top of the video;
>
> Sounds highly hypothetical.
Why is it hypothetical? With their render api, it will take an opengl
surface to render on and that surface can later be renderd on. I don't
say it is trivial or easy; just possible.

> Same here: just linking libmpv doesn't magically let you do those things.
Of course not; I don't understand why do you say so in this case, why
would you think I think so? I was obviously aiming at the fact that
instead of  writing own interface to some lower level video decoding
library or maybe your own decoding routines, Emacs could re-use
libmpv. I don't see what is hypotethical there.

> Linking libraries into Emacs tends to be tricky, costly, and come with
> a fair bit of consequences, so it needs to justified by fairly
> solid evidence.
Of course I agree. But is also a matter of personal preferance, what is
justified and solid evidence.