Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 09:54:34 +0100

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Would it be useful to prepare a template for such a communication?
>
> Yes, definitely.
>
> Would you like to write a draft of this, and show it to me and
> the other Emacs maintainers?  Privately at first.

Yes, I can do that.  I will send it privately when I have prepared it.

>   > Could we prepare a canonical URL for the GNU ELPA package
>   > requirements/rules outlined in a previous email by Richard?  I assume it
>   > would be placed under https://elpa.nongnu.org/requirements.htm or
>   > something similar, once Amin can get that hostname working.
>
> Yes, we should do that.  It should state the full rules, which
> I've posted here, adding some details from my previous message.
> I'll do make that and send it to you.

Thank you.

>   > Should we add a special file to nongnu.git for recording the kind of
>   > arrangement we decide on?
>
> Yes.  One question is where to put that information:
> in one single file with an item for each package, or in a
> file for each package in that package's information?

I have no strong opinion either way.  Perhaps centralizing it in a
single file is easier to maintain.

Yes, see for example: https://elpa.gnu.org/nongnu/caml.html

> Does each package have a subdirectory?

AFAIU, the answer is no.  They instead each have their own git branch.

> How are the files presented for download?)

They are either .el or .tar files available using the standard M-x
package-list in Emacs, or the individual package page with a web
browser.

>                 Perhaps we would only need to note anything down when we
>   > have a different arrangement from the first case.
>
> No, that would risk misunderstandings in the harmful direction:
> that we would believe the package is being taken care of by someone
> else who has not in fact accepted that responsibility.
>
> To avoid this. we should always indicate explicitly who has taken
> responsibility for the updating of each package in NonGNU ELPA.

OK, that sounds reasonable.