Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was R

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Introducing emacs-webkit and more thoughts on Emacs rendering (was Rethinking the design of xwidgets)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 00:38:37 -0500

  > was, but it was also before the Node and before JS become ubiquitious in
  > every application,

People can use web apps if they wish, but please do not tell people
that that's all there is nowadays.  GNU/Linux has plenty of
applications which users install on their own computers and contain no
Javascript.

That old way is also the way that is good for users' control of the
software.  Distros package the program and offer their own versions.
In doing this, they audit the code.  Not completely, but it's still a
good thing.  The distros compete but also learn from each other.  That
is the way in which our community traditionally protects itself
against malware and bugs.

"Web applications", even if their code is released as free software,
structure a system of release and usage which has no room for distros,
and this interferes with users' having control over the program.

A structure which precludes this is dangerous in practice, even if in
principle it should not change anything.

--
Dr Richard Stallman