Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 18:32:58 -0500

On 11/21/20 6:22 PM, Stefan Kangas wrote:

>>> Or will there be a script that pulls repositories into these individual
>>> branches?
>>
>> That!  And no, it's not written yet.
>> Note that this doesn't even have to run on elpa.gnu.org, you all can
>> participate in this effort ;-)
>>
>>> And won't the repo become gigantic?
>>
>> I don't expect it will become significantly larger than the actual ELPA
>> archive itself:
>
> Is there any reason to suspect that this will become an issue?
> AFAIK, Git is pretty good at handling large repositories.

Cloning large repositories can be quite slow, that's it.  Assuming that no one
needs to do this except the build machine, that should be fine, but if we want
to push patches (as is sometimes done in ELPA) then it could become an issue?
Even if it's not cloned often I worry about the time it takes to switch
branches if very large external repositories get imported.