RE: select yank via completion

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: select yank via completion
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 13:54:51 -0800 (PST)

(Going through unread mails chronologically...)

> > So now a new patch let-binds (minibuffer-completing-file-name t)
> > around completing-read to allow inserting SPC, problem solved:
>
> Please don't, since we're not actually completing file names.

Indeed.

> I agree with Drew that we should probably just get rid of the SPC
> binding in minibuffer completions,

So let's finally do it - now.

> but until we do that you'll need...

Ugh.  Why on earth would we consider this particular
thing (yanking) to be a one-off?  Let's just give SPC
first-class citizenship finally - let it self-insert.

What's the big deal?  Why go round and round Robinson's
Barn to avoid and work around a silly, obsolete design
decision from the Dark Ages?

Is there even one good reason (good meaning beyond just
habit/inertia) why completion - *in general* - should
not let SPC (and `?', for that matter) self-insert?

If ever it's inappropriate, for some specific use of
`completing-read', to let SPC self-insert, THEN we use
your hoop to jump through.  (Word-completion is the
only use case I know of.)