Re: on helm substantial differences

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: on helm substantial differences
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 14:15:13 +0200

> Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 13:57:33 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: spacibba@aol.com, bugs@gnu.support, andreyk.mad@gmail.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, contovob@tcd.ie, rudalics@gmx.at,
>  monnier@iro.umontreal.ca, ghe@sdf.org, drew.adams@oracle.com
>
> > From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> > Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2020 11:24:24 +0200
> > Cc: spacibba@aol.com, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>, andreyk.mad@gmail.com,
> >  emacs-devel@gnu.org, rudalics@gmx.at,
> >  Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>, Gregory Heytings <ghe@sdf.org>,
> >  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> >
> > > BTW, using `affix-function' also makes it possible to group completions,
> > > then the prefix of the first completion in the group could contain
> > > a group header with group name.
> >
> > 'mule--ucs-names-annotation' has this comment:
> >
> >   ;; FIXME: It would be much better to add this annotation before rather
> > than
> >   ;; after the char name, so the annotations are aligned.
> >
> > With `affix-function' it's possible to add the char before the char name.
> > Adding groups is also simple (I recall that Richard asked to group by
> > blocks).
>
> FWIW, I like the old behavior better, since it shows completions in
> the "traditional" way: first the stuff I typed completed, then
> whatever else is relevant.  So maybe this should be an optional
> feature.

Btw, just switching the order doesn't yet guarantee the names will
align, because characters are not guaranteed to have the same width on
display.  To really align them we need to use :align-to properties, or
at least TABs.  Of course, using those techniques we could also align
the display without switching the order...