Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add complet

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: feature/completions-highlight-modifications e3c5b99 3/6: Add completions-highlight-mode initial implementation.
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 11:27:29 +0100

On Mon, Nov 16, 2020 at 10:54:48AM +0200, Juri Linkov wrote:
Cycling is actually a fairly inefficient, unconscious
way to navigate among candidates.  It's handy, but
dumb cycling shouldn't be the only or the main way to
get around.

I agree.  I tried the completions-highlight-modifications branch, but
unfortunately restricting a set of navigation keys limits the freedom of
using any navigation key for browsing completion candidates that is
available today.  What I mean is that currently it's possible in the
minibuffer to type <PageUp> (switch-to-completions), and then all keys
are available for selecting a completion: arrow keys, page scrolling
keys - even completion drop-down combo in browser's address bar allows
page scrolling.

Hi Juri:

With the current implementation this is not supposed to change. Of
course there is space for improvement and there are bugs, but so far,
all navigation still works in *Completions* buffer as usual because I
just added some commands. If there is anything that breaks the normal
previous behavior somehow, please tell me; because I put special
attention to prevent that.

We could add a custom to disable the new bindings in the *Completions*
if you think is better; because IMO the most important thing is to
"navigate" with arrows the completions from the minibuffer without
leaving it; and the overlay.

WDYT??

The code is extremely simple, so, if you think you could improve
anything it is more tan welcome.

Ergus