Re: Handling of [mouse-movement] and exiting isearch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Handling of [mouse-movement] and exiting isearch
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 10:01:39 +0200

> From: Daniel Martín <mardani29@yahoo.es>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 23:56:04 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
> >
> > Stab in the dark: the isearch-scroll property of commands, perhaps?
>
> Yes, that works for commands.  I was looking for some option that could
> work for events like mouse-movement.

Maybe I'm missing something: an event is meaningless unless it's bound
to some command.  And we exit Isearch when certain commands are
invoked, not because some event arrived (this level in Emacs is
completely oblivious to events, anyway).

> I'm not sure if that would be a good idea in general because a minor
> mode may bind the mouse-movement event to a command that is
> incompatible with isearch, right? (for example, because the command
> moves the point).

Indeed, which is why we perform this filtering on the level of
commands.

> So I think the safest way is that users/developers manually mark those
> commands that are compatible with isearch with the isearch-scroll
> property.

That's what we support now.  We could, of course, provide some minor
mode that marks many commands with that property, if that's
convenient.