Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 14:57:41 -0500

> I don't sure what the "in the wild" means, but I know at least two
> packages that shows minibuffer-only child frame on reading user input:
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/honmaple/emacs-maple-minibuffer/master/maple-minibuffer.el
>
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/muffinmad/emacs-mini-frame/master/mini-frame.el

Indeed, great examples, thanks.

> I can't report this as a bug.  Just wondering why
> minibuffer-follows-selected-frame is set to t by default, potentially
> changing someone's expected behavior.

I think the reason is that it more closely mimics what happens with the
echo area and it arguably (philosophically) better matches the default
setting of `enable-recursive-minibuffers`.

But if it results in regressions with packages to maple-minibuffer or
mini-frame, we should of course try and address that (either by refining
the behavior or by changing the default).

        Stefan