Re: on hyperlinks (bookmarks)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: on hyperlinks (bookmarks)
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2020 23:26:47 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2020-11-08 22:50]:
> > > main characteristics of Emacs bookmarks are these, IMO:
> > >
> > >  1. They're persistent.
> > >     (They don't have to be, but they can be.)
> >
> > Yes, they are. Only they are designed for single users, not for
> > collaborative sharing.
>
> I can't speak to the general topic of collaborative
> sharing, but a bookmark file can of course be shared,
> just as any other file can be.  And you can access a
> bookmark file as a remote file.  And I imagine that a
> bookmark file could be accessible from, say, a
> repository URL, etc.
>
> Again, I'm no expert on such things - I don't use
> them, myself.  But there's nothing special about a
> bookmark file, compared to other plain-text files.
>
> I guess I'm saying that I don't think Emacs bookmarks
> are particularly "designed for (only) single users".
> Unless one thinks that files, in general, are so
> designed.

I have not expressed myself correctly.

I wanted to say that Emacs could provide central sharing feautres.

Example could be when there would be a bookmark file to which all
users on same system could write and read from it. That would be
analogous to site-lisp directory.

If I remember well back in time games scores were centrally shared
with other users. I may be wrong. Similar fashion could be used for
various packages to create the collective data or useful information
for a group without thinking how to share those files, transfer, etc.

In other words that leads to database backed systems that were well
designed for collective collaboration.

But if two users can write to same bookmark file that is one solution.

> > `eww' lacks function to bookmark specific page on specific line. I can
> > of course add eww bookmark with `w' but that does not reference
> > specific line or specific search on the page.
>
> The EWW bookmarks created with Bookmark+ record a
> URL, which can include an anchor - e.g., a location
> within an HTML page.  Is there really a notion of
> "lines" and line numbers in a displayed web page?
> If so, if you can record it then it can be added to
> what's recorded in an EWW bookmark.

That is good, I will research it.

> > If there are no #names it becomes impossible for many browsers to
> > obtain finely grained reference or back link. For `eww' it would be
> > relatively easy to do that feature and include it in {C-x r m RET} to
> > be bookmarked by Emacs system, not eww system.
>
> If you're talking about adding support for #name,
> that's already present (with Bookmark+).  If you
> mean add, in some way, support for addressing a
> particular line of a web page, I don't know how
> that would be easy to do (but I'm no expert on
> such things).

I think that eww now does support moving to #names but recently, like
maybe some months ago did not. I see it supports here.