Re: Feature branches review please (ivy hello)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Feature branches review please (ivy hello)
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2020 18:24:23 +0300

* Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> [2020-11-06 16:57]:
> > I have seen previous discussion about it entering main Emacs.
> > Question: Why not?
>
> FWIW, here's my take on it: a package should be included in Emacs
> if it's activated by default or if it's a library that's required by
> many other packages.

>From Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_search

The first documented use of incremental search was in EMACS on ITS in
the late 1970s.[1] This was one of the many essential Emacs features
Richard Stallman included in his reimplementation, GNU Emacs. Other
noteworthy programs containing this functionality in the 1980s include
bash and Canon Cat.[2] These early implementations offered single line
feedback, not lists of suggestions.

Emacs has the built-in `ido-mode' which is definitely useful compared
to the built-in completion yet is not

But not as nearly useful as helm, which practically or legally or
willingly cannot be imported into GNU ELPA or into Emacs.

Ivy comes as useful compromise.