Re: ediff merge wrapper

From: Daniel Martín
Subject: Re: ediff merge wrapper
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2020 10:23:29 +0100

Eliza Velasquez <exv@google.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Internally at Google, we have a wrapper performing an ediff merge with
> emacs/emacsclient which blocks until the merge operation has
> completed. It automatically handles edge cases such as creating a new
> frame over ssh in tty mode or being invoked as an emacs subprocess. I
> think it would be really useful to upstream a tool like this, given
> that using emacs as a merge tool that can be invoked by software such
> as mercurial or perforce can be very fiddly or have unexpected
> behavior.
>
> The biggest caveat is that the internal tool is written in golang, and
> I imagine that you will want it to be rewritten to C. So before I go
> and do that, I would like to gauge interest in distributing such a
> wrapper alongside emacsclient and the like. What do you think?

I think it's an interesting wrapper, yes.  I assume the main use case is
a very big repository where merge sets can be very large, right?

We could discuss if it has enough applicability to be in the Emacs core
distribution, but it's something I'd definitely like to see, at least as
part of the Emacs/VCS free software community.  Thanks.