Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Relevance of `baud-rate' in the 2020s?
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2020 04:21:25 -0400

   > In my remote corner of the world, I sometimes have periods of time
   > that Internet crawls at 3KB/sec.

   That sounds equivalent to the default value of `baud-rate` (19200).

The default is quite dependant on how you start Emacs and where.  It
can be set to 0, 1200, 9600 depending on the situation.  E.g., on my
system the default value is 0, but it is set to 9600.  19200 sounds as
if your terminal and Emacs could figure out what they wanted.