Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2020 09:56:13 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com, matthewzmd@posteo.net,
>       emacs-devel@gnu.org, ksqsf@mail.ustc.edu.cn
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 23:41:10 -0400
>
>   > AFAIR, there are some non-trivial aspects here, some of them political
>   > and even ideological.  There's PRC and there's ROC (a.k.a. Taiwan),
>   > and I'm not sure what will each group say about the proposed changes.
>
> I have contacts in Taiwan who can tell us.

Thanks, that could be useful.

But I'd like to reiterate what I said earlier: I would only remove my
objections for changing this part of HELLO if I hear from a
representative enough group of native Chinese speakers from both sides
of the divide that some change will be acceptable to them, and cause
no controversies on either side.  With all due respect, people who
voiced their opinions in this matter till now cannot be considered
such a group.  In particular, none of them stated his/her country of
origin and current place of living, nor the cultural group to which he
or she belongs, which makes judging the opinions harder.

(We could also decide that this issue is too unimportant to waste
energy on it, but given the past experience, I don't really count on
that happening.)