Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese

From: Yuan Fu
Subject: Re: etc/HELLO: On Chinese and Cantonese
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:44:18 -0400

AFAIR, there are some non-trivial aspects here, some of them political
and even ideological.  There's PRC and there's ROC (a.k.a. Taiwan),
and I'm not sure what will each group say about the proposed changes.

So unless we have a representative group of Chinese speakers from both
camps (traditional and simplified), and they agree on some change
without any controversies, I'd rather not touch this ticking bomb with
a 3-mile stick.  The current text might not be 100% accurate, but it
has been there for many years.  I'd rather not risk causing a
diplomatic incident by a change in Emacs.

Indeed, many people are (unreasonably) sensitive on that area. (Of course, Cantonese is spoken in HonKong, not Taiwan, so the proposed change aren’t really related to Taiwan, but still.)

Yuan