Re: Recommend lexical-binding in Coding Conventions

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Recommend lexical-binding in Coding Conventions
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 15:30:06 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 08:14:46 -0700, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

> >>     @item
> >>     We recommended to enable @code{lexical-binding} in all new code, and
> >>     to convert existing Emacs Lisp code to enable @code{lexical-binding}
> >>     if it doesn't already.  @xref{Using Lexical Binding}.

> Yes, that is indeed more clear.  Thanks.

> > My suggestion is to speak only in terms of the variable,
> > `lexical-binding'.

> That suggestion is satisfied by the above edited text, right?

Just a couple of comments on the English usage.

We recommended -> we recommend.  :-)

The verb "recommend" needs a direct object (or gerund).  That direct
object can either be the thing recommended, or the person to whom the
recommendation is being made.

So, correct forms of your statement would be either:

    We recommend YOU to enable ... and to convert .....

or

    We recommend ENABLING .... and CONVERTING ....

.  English isn't always an easy language.  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).