Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 12:46:55 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> I think nowadays it should be enough to say something like "we
> recommend to install a font for displaying the TaiViet script", it is
> easy to find fonts with this information.

Well, yes and no.

"apt search font | grep viet" gives me no matches on this Debian system.

I've been frustrated by this before, and I've resorted to saying "apt
install fonts-*' or something, which isn't really ideal, so if Emacs
could provide some guidance here (without us having to maintain a
never-ending list of fonts), I think that would be helpful.

I just looked at the HELLO file on this system, and these are the fonts
that Emacs has chosen (there's no tofu in the buffer):

Unifont
DejaVu Sans Mono
Various things from the Noto Serif/Noto Sans family of fonts -- I think
  they're all from the fonts-noto-core and fonts-noto-extra packages
Symbola
FreeSerif

Plus daewoo, for Korean.

So that'd be just about all the fonts (and possibly packages) we'd have
to mention on the font help page.