Re: adding to emacs coding standard / formatting

From: Boruch Baum
Subject: Re: adding to emacs coding standard / formatting
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 15:59:35 -0400

On 2020-10-19 17:32, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 23:10:02 -0400
> >
> > Also, this is an opportunity to address a pet peeve: I occasionally see
> > code either defining keybindings to lambda functions, or setting lambda
> > functions as elements of function lists (eg. lists of hook functions).
> > I'd like to propose that those uses be banned because of their
> > difficulty to modify.
>
> Where would you allow lambda functions, then?

I see them most used as arguments/predicates to mapping functions or as
common-lisp predicates (eg. :test).

My complaint is against their use in situations that make standard
manipulation practices difficult: 1) When you assign a keybinding to a
lambda function, you can't remap to it; 2) When you add a lambda
function to a list, you lose the ability to perform operations such as
memq, delq, and you can't modify the element in place.

--
hkp://keys.gnupg.net
CA45 09B5 5351 7C11 A9D1  7286 0036 9E45 1595 8BC0