Re: Behavior of input method -- crdt.el

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Behavior of input method -- crdt.el
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 14:55:31 +0000

> This isn't limited to input methods, btw: did you try typing several
> characters that are composed together on display into a single
> grapheme cluster (under auto-composition-mode)? what happens if remote
> command arrives in the middle of this sequence and moves point?
Is there variable to detect such usage like “quail-translating”?

> We are talking about Leim input methods, not about the input methods
> your OS supports.  Do such long sequences that produce entire phrases
> happen in our input methods?  If so, can you show an example?
There are input methods written by users using Quail framework.
E.g. https://melpa.org/#/pyim

> Do we have to employ hacks?  Quail input methods tell you when they
> don't expect to be interrupted, by setting quail-translating to a
> non-nil value; why not use that indication to handle this issue in a
> non-hackish way?
For quail input method, remote command will never interrupt the
sequence themselves. Because crdt.el doesn’t assign CRDT IDs
to those pending text, remote change will never resolve in the middle
of such sequence. They are not synchronized to other peers either.
It follows exact the conceptual model “text pending translation
are not in the buffer yet, they’re just displayed there”. They don’t
need to lock the buffer either.