Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 00:10:02 -0400

  > In fact, I would go the extra mile and say Emacs should expressly warn
  > users over the dangers of installing proprietary software from
  > unofficial repositories

That could be a good idea.  What would be good occasions on which to warn?

Perhaps in list-packages when it sees a non-GNU repo, or when it sees MELPA?

Perhaps in describe-package and packageinstall, when the package comes
from a non-GNU repo, or specifically from MELPA?

Any other ideas?

                            (by the way, I always just assumed MELPA was
  > somehow official and related to ELPA, because its name is so similar to
  > ELPA).

Yes, this is a source of confusion.

Perhaps we should renamme GNU ELPA to a name that will avoid this confusion.
Maybe GNU EP (GNU Emacs Packages)?

EP is not meaningful to those who don't know what it means.  But
neither is ELPA.  People understand it only if they have been told.
So EP is no worse than ELPA.

WDYT?

--
Dr Richard Stallman