Re: defcustom with deprecated values

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: defcustom with deprecated values
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2020 08:12:33 +0200

Robert Pluim <rpluim@gmail.com> writes:

> The question then is, how do we indicate that we donʼt really want
> people to use 'ssl? The following kind of works, but then the
> 'deprecated' bit in the value list shown in 'customize' could be
> misinterpreted:

[...]

>                (const :tag "Use TLS/SSL" tls)
>                (const :tag "Use TLS/SSL (deprecated)" ssl)))

Yes, that seems possibly more confusing.

Could we introduce a new defcustom thing like

   (const :tag "Use TLS/SSL" :deprecated "28.1" ssl)

The UI result would be that these elements would be ignored when
rendering the widget...  and the code that checks for defcustom type
consistency could also heed it.

And we could even imagine warning when people have variables set to a
deprecated value?

But the UI thing would be the important change.