Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 23:02:37 +0000

I have seen several questions about Emacs showing tofu where the user
points out that such-and-such other application displays that same text
just fine on the same system.

This depends on many parameters, most of which are outside Emacs' control.

I know. I was just pointing out that there are several problems (missing fonts is one of them, but not the only one), so before trying to solve "the problem", we should be clear about which one it is and try and figure out whether it's indeed the most common.

A user has (usually) no idea of these "several problems", and knows even less how to fix them. For such users the problem is simply "Emacs displays gibberish". That is "the problem" IMO. Everything else are technicalities that very few know/understand/have the patience to deal with.

So IMO for these users it would be much better to display characters with a low-resolution font, together with a warning (and perhaps a pointer to a short guide) (as a help-echo and/or in the echo area), instead of a tofu.