Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 22:22:42 +0300

* Marcel Ventosa <mve1@runbox.com> [2020-10-16 17:33]:
> > I don't recall any single change in Emacs' behavior that resulted
> > from an external poll or survey.
>
> Why should Emacs development be guided by (external) survey results? I
> would think it should be guided, for the most part, by what the people
> putting their time into it want to create, within the principles of the
> philosophy of the project and its goals. Also, anyone can suggest
> changes and convince the maintainers that these changes are in the best
> interest of the project (and contribute the actual changes if they are
> accepted).

There is nothing wrong for Emacs developers to look into external
survey results, to look into comments people are making around various
websites, or any outside data, it is finally their creation, there is
nothing wrong into looking into survey results, especially if
something useful can be created out of it.

There shall be even a checklist to look for bugs in various GNU/Linux
distributions where users report various bugs, as such could be maybe
overseen if not reported upstream, then to look into whatever data is
available externally, that is all fine.