Re: Suggest installing more fonts?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Suggest installing more fonts?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 14:38:04 +0000

(Personally, I think Unifont is an ugly font, with many character glyphs completely illegible, and distributing is with Emacs will only cause us look unprofessional. But that's my personal view.)

It is an ugly font indeed, the point is only to use it in place of the (even more ugly) boxes with a hex code. I think it is ugly "by design", it aims at a very broad coverage without becoming too large.

You know it and I know it, but most users won't. They will just see the ugly glyphs. Whether that is less or more ugly than the "tofu" we show is in the eyes of the beholder; my personal opinion is above.

Another thought on this: to avoid "looking unprofessional", a help-echo property could be added on these characters, saying something like "Warning: no font installed for this character". So the user would see an ugly (but often recognizable) character, and at the same time would be warned that they need to do something to see it better.