Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 17:32:56 +0000

You mean, we'd make the active minibuffer follow along with changes to the selected frame? Yes, that would be more consistent. I think that's what we do with the echo area already, so there's precedent for it.

Why not, but it's not what Alan would have wanted. IIUC, what he wants is to tie each one of the recursive minibuffers to the frame in which it was activated.

% emacs -Q src/emacs.c
C-x 5 b RET
M-: (message "hello") RET
... use your window manager to select the other frame ...

we now see "hello" in both miniwindows, whereas I expected it to be seen only in the selected frame (i.e. to be erased from the previously selected frame).

   C-g

we now see "Quit" in one of the miniwindows and "hello" in the other.

I just checked. This behavior is not present in Emacs 21-23. It is present since Emacs 24.