RE: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:38:57 -0700 (PDT)

> But maybe using monospaced fonts only on these parts of the mode-line
> will fix the problem when the rest of the mode-line will use variable-
> pitch?

I'd suggest that rather than trying to do something like
that automatically (especially if done in a hard-to-disable
way), we should just try to make it easier for users to apply
a given face to specific parts of the mode-line.

Finding a good way to make that easier would also let users
do other things more easily to parts of the mode-line.

We have mode-line variables, but maybe we need another level,
that takes the string results they provide and lets you
easily apply a function to them.  We have `eval', and you
can pretty much do anything you need to do with the mode-line,
but it's not simple to do things, for most users.