Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 14:58:23 +0000

Shifting existing stuff around could be distracting or annoying for some users.

It's what eldoc already does for a similar situation, and I haven't seen complaints about this. IMO it's elegant to solve that problem in that way.

Eldoc's purpose is different from the purpose of displaying echo-area messages. For example, nothing significantly bad can happen if you miss the Eldoc's hints, but the same is not true for some important echo-area messages.

AFAICS you can't miss them with the proposed solution: they are displayed on the left of the mode-line, with a different background and foreground. The echo-are messages are IMO much more visible there than when they are placed at EOB in the minibuffer between brackets.

And I think using the mode line for Isearch would be jarring.

Remember that such cases will remain exceptional: they will happen only when the minibuffer is active on the current frame. I've been using this for a day now, enabling that exceptional behavior from time to time, and don't find it troubling.