Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 09:53:12 +0200

Protesilaos Stavrou <info@protesilaos.com> writes:

>> I'm using DejaVu Sans, and all the digits are the same width here.
>
> True for DejaVu Sans.  Though it is the difference between the width of
> a space and a character/digit that causes the issue for me.  Again, this
> is minor and subjective.

Yes, with variable width fonts, different characters take up various
amount of space -- that's the point, and will have to be dealt with.

There seemed to be some claims that even totally numerical elements
(that doesn't change the number of digits) also leads to shifts that'll
have to be handled (like display-time-mode), and that just isn't lining
up with my experiences.