Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Stop frames stealing eachothers' minibuffers!
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 20:25:04 +0000

If the command using the minibuffer is given on frame F1, and the selected frame becomes F2, the minibuffer sometimes moves, sometimes doesn't, depending on what the user does. For example, C-s in F2 doesn't usually move the minibuffer, but it will if you use C-x 8 RET. This is inconsistent.

You are confusing two things here: the minibuffer (for interactive use) and the echo area (for messages). C-s uses the echo area, C-x C-f and C-x 8 RET use the minibuffer.

I agree with you on one thing: C-x 8 RET should raise a "Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer" error in this case (when enable-recursive-minibuffers is nil, which is its default value). I'm not sure why it doesn't.