Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Where to show message output while inputting [was: New multi-command facility displays in the wrong echo area]
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 19:42:28 +0000

The same problem will exist if you move output (`message' echoes) to the mode-line: you won't be able to see the mode-line info and the message at the same time.

That's obviously a problem that will exist in any possible solution to that problem: the message will hide something. The question is then: what is the "something" that can be hidden with the least possible risk? IMO the mode-line is, in this context, the least important element, and it can be temporarily right-shifted. Eldoc does this, too.

Or we could choose to echo in a separate area only when needed. E.g., we might use the same area for echo and minibuffer whenever there's no conflict (no overlap in time), and show echoes in some other place (e.g. pop-up) in the rarer cases when needed.

That's exactly what my proposed solution does. The same area is used when there's no conflict, and the "pop-up" uses the space on the left of the mode-line, which is temporarily right-shifted.

"Pop up" here could mean temporarily overwriting the mode-line, as Gregory suggested.

No, the mode-line is not temporarily overwritten, it is temporarily right-shifted. Usually (when the message is not too long) the leftmost part of the mode-line remains visible.