Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets

From: Qiantan Hong
Subject: Re: Rethinking the design of xwidgets
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 18:44:20 +0000

Isn’t it possible to use the 'keymap text/overlay property on the image to do what you described? At least for zooming or
moving around view port, I think you can create some simple +/-/C-npfb bindings for the image and send the command to the backend.
Or write a lisp package for any more complex interaction.

That's probably possible to get some limited interaction, however I'm not sure it would very satisfactory or complete. For example is it possible to have a live updating rectangle displayed as one drags the mouse to select a region to inspect? Is it possible to display a slider which can be dragged by the mouse to update values on the plot or have a drop down menu to select a data series? It seems it may also be difficult to find a way to have elisp interact with the matplotlib fast enough to not introduce noticable delay as such actions update the view.

I agree that displaying a live updating rectangle/slider following the mouse is near impossible.

For selecting region, supporting two mouse click should be totally doable. For selecting
data series, read-from-minibuffer together with user’s favorite completion/fuzzy search package
should be suffice. Those are discrete event. But do we really need continuous event that
much? E.g. what useful information is exchanged between computer/user when drawing a
rectangle following user’s mouse? It seems to me that only the starting and ending position
matters. More here http://cat-v.mit.edu/2019-10-15-mouse-considered-harmful.html

However, if everyone decides that every event mouse spits out matters (which is a lot),
then it is the case that image display won’t work good enough.