Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again: Use monospaced fonts less
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 19:46:30 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 00:14:18 +0200
>
> But...  Now that you mention it, I don't quite see how to use :align-to
> in the mode line (in general).  It takes as a parameter the target
> column number (or pixels), so if we want to say "this element should be
> at least 80 pixels wide", then we need to know what column/pixel we're
> on already, don't we?

Yes.  But that's how you design tabulated display, don't you?  You
select the coordinate where each column will end, and set tab stops
there, right?

If you are saying that you are used to start with column widths
instead, then just adding them up will give you the goal coordinates
for :align-to.  Am I missing something?