Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Adrien Brochard
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 13:23:19 -0400

For the fun of it, I wrote a simple survey application[0] that includes
a self-hosted captcha (without tracking anyone), requires no Javascript,
is mobile friendly and should be fairly fast. Of course it can be
improved. I wrote it as a quick and dirty evening project, but I
think it demonstrates that this kind of an approach is practicable.

[0] https://git.sr.ht/~zge/survey

Thank you! I really like reading go code (no sarcasm).
It it clear that this approach will work but the remaining 20% are the
hardest. I'm concerned with:
- cleaner UI, not just HTML embedded in the code
- mysql instead of sqlite, which also implies a mysql instance running
- DOS protection, maybe some rate-limiting and IP blocking
- HTTPS, thankfully it's easier now
- monitoring, how do we know the service is running as expected
- logging, and how to store logs for debug

My greatest fear is people clicking on the link, filling out the form,
trying to submit, seeing an error page, and never coming back to it.

Best,
Adrien