Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference

From: Joe Corneli
Subject: Re: Question collaborative editing - Wikipedia reference
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 14:33:23 +0100

Hi Qiantan and all,

As a basic solution for pairing — before your nice software appeared recently — we were using lockstep.el.

One cool feature of lockstep is that you share the whole Emacs session.  This is useful for workflows that involve
lots of files and buffers (e.g., consider using it alongside Projectile, or Org Roam).  Access to the shell or Helm is
transparent, for example.

One downside I noticed recently is that having multiple emacsclients working on the same set of files seems to
interfere with Org Roam, with regard to syncing the database (... still investigating that). This is a problem that
would not come up with crdt.el b/c it manages syncing at the buffer level, not the file level!

All this leads to some possible feature requests for crdt.

(1) Would it make sense for a future version of crdt.el to also manage a list of files (like Projectile or Gobby?).
(2) Would it make sense for a future version of crdt.el to sync not just buffers... but also commands and windows (like lockstep?)

I realise it's still early days, so I don't want to distract w/ these questions.

Joe