Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Nikolay Kudryavtsev
Subject: Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 12:40:45 +0300

Yeah, having such protocols would result in having to struggle to define the protocol for each case to be just robust enough. Well if Helm has some completely unique command, we can't really standardize it, since we need to classify it first. In the end it's a (hypothetical)tool for keybinding standardization with generic customization being the bonus.

As for being able to keytheme Emacs in a more intentional(declarative?) manner, I agree that it would have been great, I just don't see any workable solution to accomplish that. Lets say in my theme package I want some utility menu for commands in the current major mode, let's say on C-c C-u. Then I'll have to defer to mode developers to classify their commands somehow. Lets say elisp-mode has byte-compile-file command classified as utility. Then my declarative bindings go through all commands classified as utility and byte-compile-file gets automatically bound to C-c C-u C-a for example. And we're stuck with pretty much the same problem as with the keybinding-protocols I described only in a more freeform fashion.

--
Best Regards,
Nikolay Kudryavtsev