Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuf

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A solution to display completion candidates after point in a minibuffer
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2020 11:07:07 +0300

> Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 21:30:15 +0000
> cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Gregory Heytings via "Emacs development discussions."
> <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> In fact I think this example demonstrates a (minor) bug in Emacs, given
> that the exact same code gives a different behavior with different
> versions of Emacs.

The Emacs display code is stable, but it does evolve, and bugs are
being fixed regularly.  So it doesn't surprise me that something works
differently between two different versions, especially in code that
attempts to supplant the display engine instead of letting it do its
job.

That being said, writing code that works around redisplay does need a
good understanding of why things work like they do, and the above
might not be due to some bug that was fixed, but due to something else
entirely.  Waving the need to understand what goes on could well get
us in trouble down the road.