Re: Making TTY menus more visual

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making TTY menus more visual
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:31:33 +0300

> Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2020 23:16:49 -0700
> From: Jared Finder via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Right now in Emacs on a TTY, clicking on the menu bar with the mouse pops up
> menu navigation through
> tmm.el.  I think it would make more sense for mouse clicks to pop up visual
> menus via
> menu-bar-open-mouse by default.

Which mouse support do you have on that TTY?  Is it GPM or is it
something else?

If Emacs opens tmm-menubar when you click on the menu bar, it means
Emacs doesn't understand that a mouse click on the menu bar was
received.  Can you tell why this happens in your case?

> But I get why that's not the current default. These visual menus currently
> behave very poorly with a mouse
> on a Linux TTY: Clicking <mouse-1> anywhere selects the currently selected
> item, not the item you clicked
> on.

What do you mean by "currently selected item"?

> I have a prototype fix for this that I've been working on. If you think it
> makes sense, I can finish it up. I've
> attached the changes in case you want to take a look.

I don't understand why you need all this.  TTY menus work perfectly on
MS-Windows console: the place where you click on the menu bar
determines the menu that is dropped down.  For example, if you click
on Options, you get the Options menu.

It is supposed to work the same on Linux terminals with a mouse: when
you click the mouse on the menu bar, the function x_popup_menu_1 is
supposed to be called with the argument POSITION that specifies the
coordinates of the click, and then tty_menu_show, called by
x_popup_menu_1, uses those coordinates to decide which menu to drop
down.  Which of these doesn't work for you, and why?