Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Opening Up More Keymaps Re: Standardizing more key bindings?
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 14:16:49 -0400

> 1. C-z as a prefix --- at present c-z   runs suspend-frame under X, and
>    suspends Emacs on the console.

Then again, `C-z` is a standard binding for `undo`.  ;-)

>    Perhaps turn C-z into a new prefix key, and bind the above commands
>    to C-z z -- that gives us a whole new keymap to play with for the
>    future.

It's true that there's some logic to use C-z, C-x, and C-c for standard
prefix keys.  Yet, I think this can only make sense if we have a clear
idea of what kinds of bindings we'd put into this prefix.

>    2. F2 is currently taken up by 2c (2column support) and perhaps it's
>       time to recover that key, I suspect 2c is not as heavily used to
>       justify a common key like F2, and it would still have C-x 6
>       dedicated to it if we take F2 away from it.

I agree that the binding of `f2` to `2C-command` can be dropped.
Not sure what to bind it to instead, OTOH.

        Stefan