Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 08:45:46 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2020-09-29 08:36]:
> > I suggest that there shall be visible, exposed function to lookup
> > words in dictionaries.

> That could be a useful new feature, but it is a tangent in the context of
> this discussion.
>
> Btw, we have a similar functionality built in: try "M-s M-w" after
> marking a word or a phrase.

I did not know, that is good to search words online, it does not
really define words, it searches for whatever is marked, that is
good. It is not a dictionary though.

I prefer if Emacs would be using GNU Dico software, as part of GNU system:
https://puszcza.gnu.org.ua/software/dico/ as a built in feature, so if
dico exists, it could use it, if it does not exist, it could then
provide www fallback.

If local dictionary server serves, dico would be using local
dictionaries, if not, it would be using online dictionaries.

There are hard coded settings for Google Chrome browser in {M-x customize-group
RET browse-url RET}
in Emacs, so why not have hard coded settings for dictionary features.