Re: Sticky tooltips

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Sticky tooltips
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 05:36:29 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com>
>> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 22:04:50 +0200
>>
>> Somebody suggested for sticky tooltips the other day; Mr. Eli Z.
>> explained about tooltips, when compiled in Gtk are controlled by Gtk.
>>
>> So I wonder - do they need to be?
>
> They don't have to be, we just use that as the default.  We have a
> variable to turn that off and use our own tooltips.
>
> I presume GTK users would prefer the GTK tooltips, though, because
> they preserve the look-and-feel of the other GTK applications, and can
> be customized in the same ways.
Yes; I understand that. But then rest of Emacs does not look much like
the Gtk anyway, it's a win-loose.

>> I tested idea with a sticky tooltip based on just ordinary buffer
>> displayed in a child frame.
>
> You propose to switch to "tooltips" that pop up in a special buffer?
I was mostly proposing for "pure Emacs" frame, special buffer or not, I
don't know. Why not?

That makes implementing "sticky" tooltip as someone suggested quite
trivial.

There is only one tooltip active at a time (I think), so there is just
one buffer/frame needed; and tooltip text could be erased/set when a
tooltip is shown. Would that be too inneificient?