Re: master 583cb26 2/3: Improve accuracy in string-replace description (

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: master 583cb26 2/3: Improve accuracy in string-replace description (bug#43598)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 18:36:24 -0400

On Mon, Sep 28, 2020 at 2:12 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > What do you find extremely confusing about it?
>
> The "equal" part.

Return a string equivalent to @var{instring} with every occurence
of @var{fromstring} replaced by @var{tostring}.

This has the virtue that it does not commit to returning a string
distinct from @var{instring} when there are no replacements.

Interesting that we are wordsmithing new and equals.  Originally
I introduced this wording to solicit feedback on adopting the
imperative mood.  Cohorts of git users are being taught to use
it.  And as I stated in my first email, I find it emphasizes the
contractual aspect of an API.

/john