Re: How to make Emacs popular again.

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: How to make Emacs popular again.
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 13:11:11 +0200

Sorry Jean Louis but I totally disagree with all your opinions.

1) Yes, emacs popularity is NOT growing even without proportions, not
relative or absolute numbers grow. You look at younger projects like
sublime, atom, VSCode, notepad++, even vim is MUCH more popular than
us. Just search editor ranking and you will see. Numbers are not
opinions... that's the good about numbers.

2) There were some emails some weeks ago with some statistics and data
but you can check many of them online.
3) Not only numbers but also community interaction and references to
emacs are negligible if we compare with much newer projects around.
4) Also the number of developers is a measurement... specially the
number of young and new developers... Most people prefer to just develop
small packages and project and never even try to join to the core
development. We should be worried about that and ask us why.

5) Denying the importance of the statistics here is like trusting the
health of the project to feelings and hopes... Actually there are many
ways to measure the health-maintainability-popularity of a project from
different points of view (downloads, google hits, references, scientific
articles related, number of threads in reddit, editor rankings, views
and likes in youtube channel of related videos...) If you don't trust
statistics then just look at the starts and ask them.

I don't consider this as a competition; but as developers this is
important:

Popularity is proportional to users, users to potential developers and
potential developers to new functionalities, updates, code reviews, new
ideas. The less professional and newer users usually find issues more
often than the advanced programmers.