Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 12:20:48 -0400

> Those are opinions, but they are not a rational reason.

They may not be rational reasons to remove the text, but they are very
much rational reasons to take a fresh new look at the reasons for the
presence of this text.

> These lines are important;

So you say, but apparently all other Free Software projects disagree.

And while proprietary software does show similar text it's dutifully
downed within the many lines of text of the EULA that the corporation
hopes you'll never read, whereas you seem to think we should make
special efforts to make sure the reader reads it.  This seems to
indicate that even proprietary software's corporations also disagree.

So is it really that important?  And if so, why does everyone else seem
to disagree?

> to delete them would require an important reason, and so far no one
> has shown me any reason, only opinions.

It doesn't have to be a super-important reason, as long as it's more
important than the reason to have those lines there, which also boils
down to an opinion.

I do think it's important to have such a text somewhere, but AFAICT it's
perfectly sufficient to have it in the license's text.

        Stefan