Re: How to execute code after start-process completion?

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: How to execute code after start-process completion?
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 22:15:47 +0530

On Sat, Sep 26 2020, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> After completion of the process (`notmuch new`), I want to execute some
>> code. As you can see above, I want to put the timestamp in the *Notmuch*
>> buffer. I know that `start-process` returns the process object. But I
>> couldn't find how to use it. Please share any pointers/code-snippet on
>> how to use that object accomplish what I want to do? Or may be there is
>> a different way to do the task. Please advise.
>
> The usual way of doing that is to set up a process-sentinel function.
> It will be called when the process finishes.

Thanks. I am done. Here is my snippet.

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
(defun my/timestamp-me (process event)
  "Record EVENT in the PROCESS buffer."
  (print (format "%s %s at %s" process event (current-time-string))
         (process-buffer process)))

(defun my/notmuch-new ()
  "Execute 'notmuch new' command and logs in buffer *Notmuch*."
  (set-process-sentinel
   (start-process "notmuch" "*Notmuch*" "notmuch" "new")
   'my/timestamp-me))
#+END_SRC