Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: splash-screen
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 13:26:41 +0200

> > If there is an important reason to change it, I will consult again.
> > But that would take considerable time and effort, and so far I have
> > not seen an important reason to change it.
>
> Shouting magical phrases at users is one of the things that makes the
> FSF look quaint and out of touch.
>
> Nobody else does the NO WARRANTY splash screen thing.

I just did a quick and non-exhaustive survey with some GNU software
which are installed on this computer.

Screen does show the NO WARRANTY line on its splash screen, with the
option to turn the message off (like emacs).

Wget, tar and bazaar do show it when called with --version, but not
when called normally or with no arguments or in their man page. Bazaar
does mention the FSF goal in its man page.

I am using Gnome Shell on this computer and I don't recall ever seeing
the NO WARRANTY line. It is not in the first screen of gnome-help.
I tried a few gnome- programs with --version, without seeing it there either.

Non GNU software such as Firefox or Libreoffice do not appear to
mention it, including in the "about" window.

Actively searching for the complete EULA of Firefox gives this page:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/legal/terms/firefox/ which does
mention no warranty (in bold, not in capitals) for the Firefox Web
Services, and apparently not for the software. The software is
distributed under the Mozilla Public License, and this licence
(accessible after two more clicks from the previous page) mentions
that there is no warranty (highlighted yellow, Paragraph 6).

The license of Libreoffice is the same MPL, offered here:
https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/licenses
"No warranty" is still Paragraph 6, without any highlighting.

If that presentation is sufficient for the legal counsel of the
Mozilla Foundation and The Document Foundation, could a "licensing
information" link on the splash screen be enough to C the FSF's A?