Re: cperl-mode: Eliminating references to obsolete packages

From: Harald Jörg
Subject: Re: cperl-mode: Eliminating references to obsolete packages
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 17:34:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:

> [...]
>> I am unsure about the procedure: Should the backwards-compatible
>> version live in a separate branch on Emacs?
>
> I think we don't need a separate branch.  E.g. for format-prompt we can
> use a patch like the one below.  If you can't think of a simple way to
> preserve backward compatibility in a specific situation, feel free to
> ask for help,

Thanks for the patch!  It does the trick, so I apologize that I've
still doubts about the _process_.  I guess we should start making
cperl-mode.el a "dual life" project soonish - I'll better start a new
thread for that.

In detail:

The point of *this* post was to actually _eliminate_ some fboundp
conditionals in cperl-mode.el, so it feels a bit weird to introduce a
new one in the same step.

I am not particularly concerned about the use of format-prompt,
because the calling functions have other issues (cperl-info-on-command
is broken anyway, and cperl-perldoc is based on man, which means it
fails on Windows and has suboptimal formatting on all platforms).
That's outside the scope of this thread, though.

But replacement of deprecated / old stuff does occasionally happens
across the Emacs repository.  This may hit cperl-mode.el at any time,
like it did with time-convert and format-prompt.  So, every now and
then, the Emacs repository will contain a cperl-mode.el which won't
work with Emacs 26, until someone notices it and someone prepares
another backporting-patch.  Or until cperl-mode.el gets a place or
procedure where these changes don't hit.
--
Cheers,
haj