Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 19:33:25 +0300

> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2020 19:03:55 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: rms@gnu.org, nicola.manca85@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > > Which software specifically you installed with such assistants?
> >
> > Almost every application you install on a smartphone does that.
>
> Those on smartphone are not comparable directly to Emacs as text
> editor

You are missing the point.  My point is that people nowadays are used
to applications that start like that.  They are therefore unlikely to
be surprised if Emacs does.

Whether this is appropriate for Emacs or not is a different question.
I understand your point -- no need to reiterate it so many times --
but many people here disagree with you.

> Emacs works without configuration.

Yes, it does.  The problem the "friendlier Emacs" proposal tries to
solve is how to help new users discover features they might want, but
which are disabled by default.  The assumption is that doing so will
help them start using Emacs more efficiently sooner.

> Please also think on real users who don't use .emacs on multiple
> computers, as I am real user who need Emacs without .emacs or wizards,
> not just unnamed beginner, and I am promoting Emacs to new users too.

You are not the only one who mentioned this aspect.  So this issue is
on the table, and will find its solution, this way or another.

> Another thoughts, what is supposed to be done after the configuration
> wizard have assumed that user is beginner because there is no .emacs
> file and user pressed a key to choose one of the wizard options?

The options the user selects will be saved for future sessions of this
user.