Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: A proposal for a friendlier Emacs
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 23:40:13 -0400

  > > Welcome!
  > > This is the first time you run Emacs, please choose how to proceed:
  > >
  > > [] Go Vanilla!
  > >   (standard defaults, no customizations)
  > >
  > > [] Start Configuration Wizard
  > >   (set-up your .emacs configuration file interactively)
  > >
  > > [] Try Emacs in enhanced-mode
  > >   (run with a predefined configuration showing emacs potential)
  > >
  > > After this screen, the normal Emacs splash screen could me
  > > presented.

  > No please.

  > I would not like that be included in Emacs. I am installing so many
  > times Emacs, I need no installation wizards,

I understand that you have no need for this -- but why do you object to it?
It would only require you to type a couple of characters.

Indeed, you could surely bypass that step by copying a certain
pre-prepared .emacs file into each new installation.  That file
would indicate that the choice had already been made.

  > Why would "Configuration Wizard" be friendlier? I don't find it
  > friendlier, especially considering that more citizens in many
  > countries find words like "wizard" not appealing, due to their
  > beliefs.

Please distinguish the behavior of the feature from its name.

If we have this feature, we don't HAVE to call it "wizard."  But many
programs use the term "wizard" for such things -- it seems to be a
standard term.  I would expect that computer users have got used to
it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman